Whilst installing OBIA 126.96.36.199 I hit this problem when firing up Presentation Services (sawserver):
Error loading security privilege /system/privs/catalog/ChangePermissionsPrivilege.
A quick search on the forums threw up two posts suggesting a corrupted WebCat.
Since I’d got this webcat fresh out of the box I was puzzled how it could be corrupted.
I did a bit more tinkering (including nosying around in the sawserver log), before realising it was indeed corrupt, and that I was indeed a muppet.
Here’s what happened after copying EnterpriseBusinessAnalytics.zip to my (unix) Presentation Services box: [sourcecode language=“bash”]
$unzip EnterpriseBusinessAnalytics.zip Archive: EnterpriseBusinessAnalytics.zip creating: root/ creating: root/ creating: root/shared/ creating: root/shared/automotive/ creating: root/shared/automotive/prompts/ inflating: root/shared/automotive/prompts/gf_model+model+year+trim inflating: root/shared/automotive/prompts/gf_model+model+year+trim.atr inflating: root/shared/automotive/prompts.atr […] [ lots of files here ] […] inflating: root.atr
$ls -l total 110494 -rw——- 1 user group 37655058 Oct 7 03:44 EnterpriseBusinessAnalytics.zip drwx—— 5 user group 1024 Sep 18 01:06 root -rw——- 1 user group 60 Dec 6 2006 root.atr [/sourcecode] Huh? What gives? Where’s my EnterpriseBusinessAnalytics web cat folder? Well, quite obviously it’s unpacked it without a parent directory name. That’s easily solved: [sourcecode language=“bash”] $mkdir EnterpriseBusinessAnalytics $mv root EnterpriseBusinessAnalytics [/sourcecode]
Then I started up Presentation Services and got the error “Error loading security privilege /system/privs/catalog/ChangePermissionsPrivilege.”
If you can spot my snafu at this point the my only defence is that there was quite a lot of other gumf in the catalog folder, not just the files illustrated above :-D
The solution 🔗
Whilst I’d moved the root folder into my webcat folder, I’d neglected to move root.atr - in effect corrupting the web catalog.
So simple, but so frustating!
The solution in this case was to move root.atr into the webcat folder, alongside root. It’s worth noting that this may not be the solution in all occurrences of this error, it depends on where the corruption has occurred.
The silver lining being a good chance to poke around inside sawserver a bit more and discover gems like this in the logging:
The Oracle BI Presentation Server is proudly running under user: TODO_implement_this
It’s nice that it takes pride in its work, although shame we never get to find out the user’s name ;-)